Monday, September 1, 2008

Uintas

I took a Labor Day weekend camping trip with the family to the Uintas.  Although fishing was not the purpose of the trip, I knew that with as much water as there is around, there was no way that I could go without wetting a line.  We were up there for Saturday through Monday.  I grew up fishing many of the small streams and lakes in the Uintas on family camping trips and trips to a close friend's cabin.  It had been some time since I had been back and seeing many of these places brought back many good memories.  There was a pull between fishing many of the places that I grew up fishing and knew well, and the places that have been calling my name that I have never taken the opportunity to fish.  I decided to fish in new places with the limited time available.  The first round of fishing took place on the Bear near our camp spot.  Small cutts and a small rainbow continued to rise to what we threw at them.  It was fun to fish there, but I really wanted to hit another stream.  The lure of a new area was enough to take me to a small stream that is not far off the beaten path, but seems to be overlooked by many fisherman.  I expected to see many fisherman on this stream, but to my welcome surprise, there was nobody else there.  We only fished for an hour or so, but it was well worth our time.  We didn't catch anything large, but were able to have some classic small stream action.  A rubber-leg stimulator was the ticket for me.  A tan para-hopper worked for my brother-in-law who we were camping with.  Tried to get a couple of shots of the colorful fish we were catching.  I love catching small stream cutts.  


Kind of fuzzy, but had to show the trophy of the day.  
Pulled out a couple of brookies that are starting to show their color some.
The stream is home to some excellent water.  Wish we would have had more time to explore it further.
More fishing was planned for Monday when we broke camp.  But we woke up to this.  The storm that brought torrential rain storms in the lower elevations of the Uintas turned the higher elevations into a winter wonderland over night.  Having the wives and kids with us we felt it prudent to call it a day and let the fish off the hook for another time.


Despite the rain and the lack of time fishing, the weekend was a success.  

-Tyson  

No comments: